The National Energy Control Centre of Cyprus
The National Energy Control Centre of Cyprus (N.E.C.C.) is manned on a 24hr basis monitoring the operation of the Generation and the Transmission Network. The responsibilities of the N.E.C.C. include:
- To facilitate the monitoring of the status of each Power Station and Transmission Substation and execute all necessary operations to ensure the safe, reliable and most economical supply to all consumers;
- To ensure that all necessary measures are taken so that the supply of Electrical Energy, the frequency level and voltages throughout the system are continuously kept within the limits set by the relevant rules and regulations;
- To co-ordinate operations, allow modifications and repairs to the Transmission network securely and as quickly as possible in full compliance with the appropriate processes, as these are defined by the relevant rules and regulations;
- To co-ordinate all required actions for immediate restoration of supply after unplanned events, faults or system disturbances;
- To forecast the demand for the next hour, the remaining of the day and the following day;
- To take all necessary actions, for the preparation of a production programme, on time, giving due consideration to the forecasted demand, in order to satisfy the demand at all times;
- To take all necessary actions to achieve operation of all network equipment at minimum cost.
The National Energy Control Centre is situated in Nicosia's city centre. The Control Duty Engineers are greatly assisted in carrying out their duties by a modern Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) System. Accurate and direct information on the current status of each generating unit and Transmission system plant is provided through the Remote Terminal Units, an optical fibre network and a system of screens and projectors. In addition, the N.E.C.C. is in position to communicate with Power Station personnel, maintenance crews, interested parties, mass media etc. in a number of alternative ways for coordinating and providing information on system disturbances or other interruptions of supply at all times.